Submit An Invention

Submit an Invention Report

UCLA's Invention Report form and related how-to guides are provided below. The ideal time to report an invention to UCLA TDG is before it has been published or publicly presented. We are also happy to discuss your idea at any time - even before you fill out the Invention Report form - to help put together a patenting and commercial partnering strategy, and may be contacted at any time.

To submit an Invention Report, you may use one of the following methods:

Online Invention Report

Complete the online Invention Report form found on the ORA PI Portal. NOTE: once you are logged-in the PI Portal, you will find "Report a New Invention" under the "My Inventions" tab.

Download Invention Report

Complete a Invention Report form: Word version | PDF version (IE, Firefox, or Safari browsers only. Chrome is not compatible with the PDF version.)

Copyright: Who Owns What?
Type of Work UC or Author?

Commissioned work
Produced for University purposes by individuals not employed at the University or by University employees outside their regular University employment.

Contracted facilities work
Produced by non-University personnel or University personnel acting outside the course and scope of their employment, using designated University facilities pursuant to a written agreement.


Institutional work (staff)
Works made by University employees in the course and scope of their employment.
Personal work
Prepared outside the course and scope of University employment (except for permissible non-University consulting activities) without the use of University Resources.
Scholarly/aesthetic works created by faculty
Scholarly/aesthetic work is a work originated by a designated academic appointee resulting from independent academic effort.

Sponsored work
Work first produced by or through the University in the performance of a written agreement between the University and a sponsor.

Examples of sponsored works include technical reports, software, and other works created in the performance of an agreement.


Student work
Produced by a registered student without the use of University funds (other than Student Financial Aid), that is produced outside any University employment.

Includes all coursework, term papers, theses and other work, as long as the student is not employed as a participant in a sponsored project where research results may be obligated to a third party.

Work acquired by assignment or will
The University may acquire copyrights by assignment or will pursuant to the terms of a written agreement or testament.

*Source for text: “UC Policy on Copyright Ownership” at

If you have been asked to complete a Trademark Report form, please find it here: Word version | PDF version

You may submit your Invention Report form and related files by email or in-person delivery. For email submissions:; for in-person submissions:

UCLA Technology Development Group
10889 Wilshire Blvd, Suite 920
Los Angeles, CA 90095-7191

Contact TDG by phone at (310) 794-0558 for additional information or assistance in completing the Invention Report form.

For more information on UC's Patent Policy please visit: UC Patent Acknowledgment (PDF). For all other questions, see the list of contacts at TDG.